Students should take notes as part of their course work. The most important reason to take notes is that it will help you remember information you would otherwise forget.

However, taking notes correctly is a little more challenging than it seems.

Not everything you hear needs to be written down. Summarizing core concepts in your own words is an important part of taking notes.

Outline method

One of the best and most popular note-taking methods for college students is the Outline method. You can organize your notes in a structured manner, saving a lot of time for further review and editing. By using bullet points to represent different topics and their subtopics, this method requires you to structure your notes in the form of an outline. Include main topics on the far left of the page and related subtopics in bullet points below using indents.


1. Proper and clean structure

It helps to organize your notes in a structured form, helping you save a lot of time for further reviewing and editing.

2. Highlights the key point in a logical way

It does not only show the main points of the lecture or meeting but also shows the relationship between the single items. Since it follows a relatively strict framework this method allows you to focus on your lecture instead of needing to spend to much time getting your notes right.


1. Unsuitable for subject that comprise of formulas and charts

It is hard to utilize outline method with formulas and chart since its structure is different.

Cornell method

The method is a unique note-taking approach that can be applied in a variety of situations. The layout sets it apart from other note-taking methods. The page is divided into three or four sections starting from one row at the top for title and date (optional) and one at the bottom along with two columns in the center. 30% of width should be kept in the left column while the remaining 70% for the right column.


1. Quicker way to take notes

All actual notes from the lecture go into the main note-taking column. The smaller column on the left side is for questions about the notes that can be answered when reviewing and keywords or comments that make the whole reviewing and exam preparation process easier.

2. Summarize all the information is systematic manner

The system itself encourages you to reflect on your notes by actively summarizing them in their own words. Often, this can already be enough to remember study notes and to successfully pass an exam.


1. Requires some time to summarize the key points

Requires more thought in class for accurate organization. It doesn’t lend to diversity of a review attach for maximum learning and question application. This system cannot be used if the lecture is too fast.

Mapping method

The mapping method works best when the lecture content is intense. You can use it to organize your notes by dividing them into branches, allowing you to establish relationships between them. Begin by writing the main topic at the top of the map. As you go down, divide it into subtopics on the left and right.


1. Visually appealing

This helps you to visually track your lecture regardless of conditions. Little thinking is needed and relationships can easily be seen. It is effective for appeal learners.

2. Easy to edit

It is easy to edit your notes by adding numbers, marks, and color coding.


1. Can be confused with formatting

You may confused with the changes in content from major points to facts.

A note-taking method will help you to prepare before the lecture and to review key concepts after a class. It will help you to stay focused during the lecture to pay attention and actively participate. Try these note taking techniques for your needs on this holiday!